Friday, August 12, 2011

Whitey, Whitey try to hide-y

This guy is special.  It is because of him that now during the month of August we maintain constant vigilance.  He was the ambassador of all those following in his creepy six-legged footsteps in the Augusts to come.  We even named him:
Whitey

On a perfectly normal day I walked out the back door, not maintaining the level of critter caution that is now practiced as August Awareness (ah, the naive years).  I approach the screen door at a rapid pace and as I began to push it open a movement directly in front of my face causes my eyes to refocus.  There, a good 2.5 inches from my face, clinging to the screen, Whitey introduced himself.  I stood stock still for about 10 seconds completely baffled by the thing staring back at me.  See, Whitey wasn't just any roach, mind you, but an albino one.  

I freaked and yelled for my hubby to come squash the varmint.  Alas, Whitey scampered away before the foot fell (roaches can run at the alarming rate of 3 mph).  An expected amount of Googling ensued.  I research things that scare me in the hopes that I will develop an understanding of them and not be so frightened.  Ah, Google!  What more could an Amateur Insect Hunter Girl need?

A few FF (in this case Freaky Facts):

  • Roaches wear their skeletons on the outside of their bodies.
  • Cockroaches bleed white blood. (did not need to know that)
  • Roaches outgrow their skeletons and must shed them to regrow (vomit, vomit, vomit)
  • Albino? nope, just happened to see a roach naked, which they are for approximately 8 hours while the new roomier skin/skeleton regains its regular color. (lucky you)
  • During the nude fest - a cockroach is white with black eyes. (have fun sleeping tonight)
Check out these and more interesting, albeit disgusting, Roach Facts <-----do it.

So there you have it!  Casper the not-so-friendly, freakishly white roach.  If anyone is wondering, I had no luck chasing my fears away.  In fact, it is still coming my way at the surprising rate of 3 miles per hour.

Peace and watch out for the Whiteys!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... that is creeeepy!!! The other day my husband and I were enjoying a late-night dinner on our stone patio that's sort of below ground level, and all of a sudden my husband said, "Oh look... we've got company!" I looked around, and there were literally about 40 slugs sliming about, sludging up and down the walls and creeping up behind us with their little antennae waving in the air.

    I don't think this would have bothered me so much if I hadn't been trying to enjoy a nice glass of white wine at the time, but hey, you never know! Then I learned that slugs are supposedly good for the garden, so I guess I'll let them slide for now (get it... slide? slugs? Yeah, bad pun, I know!)

    Anyhoo, I'm stopping by from voiceBoks (apparently someone really wants you to join over there and is soliciting help from us friendly folks to say hello and give you a nice invitation to drop on by and join our happy community!)

    But either way, I am going to follow you on Google Friend Connect, because I love your writing! You totally make me laugh!

    Cheers to a great blog! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Smiles, Jenn
    www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Jenn! Sounds like a day in August at our house - random creepy-crawlers joining the party! I heard that if you put beer on a plate it will get rid of the slugs, but who knows?

    Thank you! And I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is love!!